Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Well, its a new year and a time for new beginnings and all that jazz.  I usually don't make new years resolutions because it seems like people just do it for tradition without actually committing to goals, right?  Or maybe that's what I've done in the past so that the way it seems. :)  Anyway, I actually have some goals I am working towards this year, not because its the new year, but because I really do want to achieve a few different things this year.

Now if you knew me well, you'd know I am very flaky, not very organized, I don't operate on a schedule.  I am a very live in the moment kinda girl and do things as they come up.  So, I figured I had better write these goals down so that it is a little more concrete, instead of just thoughts flying around my head.  So here goes.  I have a few different categories.  Body, home, and parenthood/schooling.

So first is body.  I know, I know, everyone has a new years resolution to loose weight, right?  And I'm sure they all generally do want to loose weight, but I am really determined.  Right now I am the heaviest I have ever been.  I know, I'm pregnant, so it doesn't really count.  But my big belly is really starting to get in the way.  My son can't snuggle me like he wants because its in the way, my husband and I can't snuggle because its in the way, I'm slow, I walk like a penguin, and I only have one pair of MATERNITY pants that I can wear.  Not just regular pants people, thats maternity.  I miss being skinny, so I am going all out.  Only three weeks left and then I am determined to get back to my pre wedding weight of 120.  Once this baby is out and charming that pants off all around I am going to get to work.  I am already sorta working out, but there's only so much you can do when you can't move like normal.  So here's how I envision it:

1.  Depending on the weather I will either be walking every morning, or doing a workout video.  Between my sis in law and me we have enough workout videos to keep us interested, hopefully :)
2.  Depending on the weather I will either be running or doing a workout video every night.  In case you didn't catch that I am a baby and hate the cold, so I will be inside until the weather warms up.  So eventually I will be outside once a day running or walking, and inside once a day working out.  The Christmas season brought lots of fun workout equipment including a 70 pound punching bag, Turbo Jam, resistance bands, a few weights, P90x, and 30 day shred(this is between me and my sis in law).  So I will have no excuse to not loose weight.
3.  And of course what is a weight loss plan without some kind of altered diet.  I've been mentally working on this one for a while, but since I love chocolate, all things cheesy, buttery and bready its been difficult.  The goal is to pretty much cut out sugar, or at least limit it to once a week or less.  Right now I'm operating on the need to eat sugar after every meal, and if I don't have some kind of dessert that means I eat cereal(the closest thing to sugary I can find:).  I think that will be the biggest hurdle.  Other than that I plan on eating much more raw food, and by that I just mean fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and all that jazz.  And last, but certainly not least, if I do eat something cheesy, bready, or buttery I cut my portions in at least half.  When something is delicious its hard for me to stop eating it, even if I am full.  So I plan on eating until I am satisfied, not full.  By the time you're full you KNOW you've eaten to much.
4.  Last on the body list is more a fun goal for me and my husband to work towards together.  A few years ago we trained for a 5k together and it was really fun!  Not just the shared goal, but we ran the Springville 5k and they had an AWESOME raffle at the end.  We didn't win anything, but I figure the odds are one of these years its bound to happen.  So to kick it up a notch and to give me a reason to keep running (since I really don't like to), I've decided to run all the 5ks for South Utah County in the summer.  So that would be Art City Days in Springville, Fiesta Days in Spanish, Salem Days, Onion Days in Payson, and whatever Santaquin's festival is.  I think that will be one a month starting in June.  Hopefully with all those 5ks we'll win something, right?  Maybe a flat screen tv for the bedroom?  That should motivate Aaron to want to run with me :)

Alright, that pretty much sums it up for the body.  Next we move on to my home.  Its still not as homey as I'd like it to be so here are my plans:

1. Build a book shelf for the end of the hallway.  We got rid of our headboard that was harboring all our books and built a tufted upholstered headboard that I LOVE, but now all our books are homeless.  They are just sitting on the floor at the end of the hallway, so I would love to give them a nice place to live.
2. Build an entryway bench to hold our shoes, gloves, hats, and other junk that is sitting in our entry way currently. 
3. Put up a backsplash in the kitchen.  We painted it blue, and now whenever anything gets on the blue paint, it stains, so it needs a backsplash.
4. Shelves in all the closets and laundry room.  Right now we have these giant dressers in our closets that I hate, and really don't have enough room anyway.  So I would like to build lots shelves to organize the closets a little better.
5. And of course we also need to finish up the playhouse.  The house part is finished, now we just need to attach swings.  Hopefully then the kids might actually play on it.

Now for the parenthood aspect.  This is just me really wanting to connect more with my kids and get them more involved in life instead of just tv. 

1.  Go outside more.  Its pretty simple.  The kids want to be where I am and do what I do, so if I am outside and active more so will they.  That's more fun anyway, right?  This will probably involve going up the canyon more and possibly camping more.  We have Santaquin canyon right in our backyard, so it shouldn't be too hard.
2.  We plan on homeschooling our kids, and more specifically a child directed type of homeschooling.  Basically that means they pursue their own interests.  For me that means I need to introduce them to more stimuli.  So whether that be organizing more playdates for them, getting more involved in our local homschool community, or just being more creative myself in having activities for them to do.  I will probably try to do all of the above.  In fact, I'm thinking of staging a small archaelogical site in our backyard if anyone wants to join us.  We will be making pottery, then burying it and digging it back up.  I did that in 5th grade and it was a BLAST!

I guess that's it!  Wow, I guess it seems like a lot, but really this is stuff that's been on my mind for while.  I just needed to solidify it. 

Maybe I should also make a goal to blog our adventures more too :)

Anyway, here's to new beginnings everyone!  Happy 2011!

Love and Peace,
Lyndsey

No comments:

Post a Comment